Friday, February 18, 2011

Spicy Squash Soup

1 large Squash / Pumpkin. I really prefer a butternut squash but whatever you have will work so long as it's not one of those really watery ones.

Olive Oil

2 Onions

Garlic (to taste)

Thai Curry Paste, red or green.....how much you use depends on how much fire you like!! (you could always just use a chilli, but I love the extra dimension the paste gives. I guess you could also use an indian curry paste.).

Vegetable / Chicken Stock, how much depends on how big your squash is.

1/2 can Coconut Milk / Cream to add if you want a touch of luxury :)

Bay Leaf

Salt and Pepper

1 tsp of dark brown sugar (you can totally leave this out, but it's nice to have that sweet touch, especially if your squash is not too sweet).

************************************************************************************

Cut the squash in 1/2 or into large wedges if it's massive. No need to peel. Brush all the cut surfaces with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and roast 'til soft in a really hot oven.

Meanwhile soften the onions and garlic in the olive oil, try not to colour too much.

Once the squash is nice and soft remove the skins (you might want to let it cool a little, ask me how I know!). Add to the pan with all the other ingredients, except for the coconut milk / cream. Make sure there is enough stock to just cover the squash.

Bring to the boil and simmer for about 20m.

Blend and then add the coconut / cream if you are using it.

2 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! Thank you! I am always looking for squash recipes. Especially starting this time of year when I have an abundance of squash. I LOVE spicy too so I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete