Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Potato and Zucchini Pancakes



Potato pancakes were a big favorite of mine when I was a missionary in Germany years ago. Missionaries are often invited over for meals by members of the local church and one member in particular made these for us often as he knew they were a favorite. There they are called Kartoffelpuffer and they are eaten with Apfulmus (apple sauce). Next time I make them, I'll be sure to be prepared with plenty of apples to make a quick batch of apple sauce.

I have since added zucchini to my Kartoffelpuffer for the extra nutrients. They taste more interesting too! And of course, I'm not afraid of frying when I use healthier fats like coconut oil. Plus, I don't feel as guilty when I sneak a third (or fourth) pancake.

Ingredients:

2 large Yukon Gold or Red potatoes
1 medium zucchini
1 small onion
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 eggs
1/2 cup oat flour
plenty of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper

Any flour can be used but I particularly like the texture of oat flour and we need to use gluten free flours. I take gluten free oats and process them in the food processor or blender until fine and flour-like. I have also used almond flour and a gluten free flour blend of mine. Both worked great!



Grate the potatoes and zucchini into a mixing bowl then transfer to a clean towel. Roll them up in the towel and squeeze as much water from them as you can into the sink and transfer them back into the bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix together.



Heat pan with enough coconut oil for frying (or other desired oil) on med-high. Cook until both sides are nicely browned. (Don't cook these TOO fast or the middle won't cook through.) Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I had these at Melanie's house last week. The only way to improve this recipe would be to double it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH... and you need to add your applesauce recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look awesome!!! My mouth is watering just reading the recipe.

    ReplyDelete