Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Spicy Strawberry Mango Syrup




My daughter wanted crepes this morning. I decided I wanted something a little sweet to go in them. So I got creative.

Ingredients:

1 lb of strawberries, diced (minus what your four-year-old steals while you cut them)
1 mango, peeled and diced
Juice of one orange
3 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp black pepper
dash of sea salt
2 Tblsp corn starch (or other thickener)

Put strawberries and mango in a saucepan with just enough water to come to the same level. Bring to a boil. Add vinegar and orange juice, pepper and salt and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get too dry and stick to the pan. Stir frequently.

Continue to boil until it is reduced by about half. Combine corn starch with about a 1/2 cup of water. Stir to create a slurry and add to the pan. Stir and bring back to a boil for just a minute, until thick. Remove from heat and let cool.

It's just a little spicy on its own. You could add more or less pepper as you see fit. I also think a little bit more tanginess would be nice. I might try to add some orange zest and a little more balsamic vinegar next time.




We ate ours with some gluten-free dairy free crepes topped with coconut cream that my friend Mary introduced me to. She got the recipe from this blog.























Hannah said, "Mom, I can't lie. I'm a happy girl!"



1 comment:

  1. Ohhh yummy, I love that you posted this. I want to make it now.

    ReplyDelete