Sunday, March 6, 2011

Key Lime Smoothie

We just got a Vitamix and I've been on a blending spree ever since. We generally have a smoothie a day around here so that's nothing new but I'm much more creative with what I've been blending since this baby can handle so much more than any of our other dearly departed blenders could. We have a lot of our fruit and some of our veggies pre-washed, cut into large chunks and frozen so they're easily accessed and prepped for smoothies.

Yesterday I was brainstorming about a smoothie combo and it hit me. I love limes. I love coconut. LIGHT BULB!! The Key Lime smoothie was born.

This has a sweet taste off the bat and a slightly tart after taste which is perfect. The more fruit you have frozen before hand, the thicker and colder this will be.



1 small lime, peeled
1 whole ripe kiwi, wash well and cut off ends
1 slice of fresh pineapple (about 1 1/2 inches thick) peeled but NOT cored
1 cup of sweet green grapes
1 handful of fresh, washed spinach
2 tsp Dolomite (not necessary but adds calcium and dials down the tartness a tad)
1 can of quality coconut milk (I use organic 365/Whole Foods)
Ice

I make smoothies to taste. Add some ice and blend then taste it. Too sweet? Add more ice. Don't like the consistency? Add more ice or blend longer. Too tart? More grapes, pineapple or a piece of ripe pear will sweeten it up nicely.

Next time I promise to spice up my pictures with a little garnish. I was just overly anxious to drink this one. ENJOY!!

2 comments:

  1. Is it really green or is that the cast from the cup? I've got to try this!

    ReplyDelete